Naturally as we near winter solstice it is the time to slow down, to turn inward, to rest and reflect. Yet it seems that for many feelings of overwhelm and over-scheduled prevail. Below I share a few tips to support your health and well-being as to not get swept up by the frenetic pace and preserve a little energy to begin the new year on stable ground.
- Prioritize sleep, getting to bed by 10 pm. It can be tempting to burn the midnight oil. When you go to sleep by ten the transformational energy of Pitta goes to restoration. If you stay up past ten, you get a second wind that directs the energy to your mind, leaving you depleted in the days to come.
- Upon waking drink 8 oz. of boiled water and sip warm water throughout the day. Give up ice (seriously, totally).
- Take a few quiet moments to meditate. Simply sit and feel your breathing, allow yourself to be content doing nothing for a few minutes. If you need support, download the Insight Timer.
- Do not skip meals, your body needs fuel and will feel more grounded if you eat at the same time each day, without distractions.
- It is no longer the season for smoothies and salads, opt for warm, cooked, nourishing meals.
- Move – whether it is a walk around the block, tai chi or a yoga class.
- When outdoors, keep your ears and neck covered, protected from the cold wind.
- If you feel your energy waning, practice yoga nidra, conscious relaxation.
- Be mindful of how you spend your energy. Are you replenishing what goes out? Here’s a great article on taking inventory of what is worth the precious resource of our attention.
My favorite herbal allies-
- Turmeric Tonic by Macha Tea, an anti-inflammatory herbal tea
- Be Well by Macha Tea, a herbal tea to calm your nerves & support your immune system
- Emotional Ally by WishGarden, a tonic for times of anxiety and duress
- Kick Ass Immune by WishGarden, a tincture to boost your immune system
- Breathe Balm by Banyan Botanicals, chest balm to support your respiratory system
- Nasya by Banyan Botanicals, lubricate your nostrils to create a buffer from bacteria and calm your mind.
- Tri-Doshic Herbal Oil by Sarada, massage oil to soften your skin and soothe your nervous system.