Join us on retreat to Costa Rica, in one of the world’s ‘Blue Zones’ where people are said to be happiest and healthiest. Imagine miles of pristine protected beaches, a relaxed way of being, and an opportunity to rest into your true nature. The retreat will be held at AKHí on the outskirts of Nosara, atop a dreamy tropical mountain overlooking the Pacific ocean. AKHí is a truly sacred space—a private boutique retreat center, in which we will be the only group, built specifically according to the ancient science of Vatsu Shastra, “the yoga of space”—that invokes peace, wellness and harmony.
Each day will begin with an hour-long class devoted to meditation and mindfulness techniques. After breakfast, the daily three-hour Ayurveda and yoga classes are intended to go beyond the general group classes you may experience back home. Throughout the week, we’ll build progressively on Ayurvedic and yogic wisdom as well as anatomical, alignment, and energetic themes. The retreat size is intentionally kept small to allow for individual support.
Each afternoon there is ample free time so that, if you wish, you can paddle down the Rio Nosara through the mangroves, go horseback riding, or explore any of the other adventures Costa Rica has to offer. As remote as AHKí feels, it is only minutes away from pristine beaches, kayaking, surfing, zip-lining, nature hikes, shopping, restaurants and more.
You can also spend free time at AHKí, which has a spectacular outdoor pool for relaxing, as well as a cozy indoor library with Wifi. There is also a luxury spa, in individual jungle huts tucked in the forest, where self-care services may be purchased separately.
In short, this is a retreat for spiritual seekers who want to experience pura vida—a way of life that is laid back, carefree, and optimistic—in both a dry tropical mountain and pristine tropical beach environment.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
This retreat will allow you to unplug from your stresses and responsibilities, from electronics and newsfeeds, and remember what is really important to you. You will get the time you need for introspection so that you can reset and come home to yourself. You’ll go deeper into your yoga and mindfulness practice and learn to create new habits. You will be awe-inspired by experiencing one of the most beautiful places on earth. You’ll also be part of an open and inclusive community of fellow spiritual seekers.
- seven nights of elegant accommodation at AHKí retreat center
- three nourishing vegetarian meals per day with an upgrade meat protein option
- all-day coffee/tea and fruit
- daily Ayurveda, yoga & meditation classes, including use of yoga mats and props
- access to both a spectacular pool and a cozy library
- all transportation to beaches and excursions
- group transportation to and from Liberia airport to AHKi
Additional activities available:
- three gorgeous beaches, with miles of protected coastline, are within a short distance from retreat center – perfect for sunning, shelling, swimming, surfing and strolling
- kayak and paddleboard excursions through the stunning mangroves, a bird watchers paradise
- surfing lessons, horseback riding, ziplining and atv adventures
- a short drive to Nosara’s many shops and cafes
- access to an on-site spa with a variety of massage and healing therapies
- backgammon table, cards and other games
- sunset dinner on the beach
- feeling rested and restored
- remembering what is meaningful and important in your life
- with a deeper understanding of your constitutional makeup and how to cultivate healthier habits and routines
- with a deeper sense of your yoga and meditation practice
- with tools for living in tune with the seasons
- with tools for working with the mind
- having connected with fellow spiritual travelers
- with memories that will last a lifetime
This is an example of how each day might unfold:
- 7am | Meditation & Mindfulness Practices
- 8am | Breakfast
- 9am to 10am | Ayurveda talk
- 10am to noon | Yoga practice
- 12:15pm | Lunch
- 1pm to 6pm | Free time for excursions, beach, spa treatments, hiking, solitude, etc.
- 6pm | Dinner
- 7pm to 8pm | Evening practice
Nestled amongst the trees along a mountain ridge, just a short walk from the main house, AKHí offers two beautiful and spacious cabinas with a total of six large guest rooms. All rooms feature handcrafted Costa Rican hardwood furniture made by local artisans and have stellar views of the mountains and valleys. The heads of all the beds are positioned to the south or east, in keeping with a Vastu principle that this helps to induce a restful night’s sleep. Single, double, and triple occupancy are available.
Private bathrooms with large, unique, indoor/outdoor hot water showers and amenities of the highest standards are provided to enhance your experience of comfort and peace. Each room includes fine linens, a ceiling fan, wardrobe and storage space, patios, and daily housekeeping.
AHKí serves fresh vegan/vegetarian, gluten/dairy-free meals made from scratch. All meals are served in a lovely open air dining room, with a grand vista of the gardens, pool, mountains and sea.
Yogurt, milk, butter and locally baked breads are available for those not avoiding gluten or dairy. Meals are carefully planned to be climate appropriate and you will never feel weighed down from food that’s too heavy, but you will leave the table satiated.
Three vegetarian meals are included each day (except Thursday dinner). Coffee/tea and fruit are always available. Vegan-friendly and gluten-free options are plentiful. Additional special dietary needs can be accommodated upon advance request. Chicken or fish may also be added to up to three meals at an additional cost.
Travel & Arrival
- A valid passport is required and must be valid at least six months after the date of travel. It’s highly recommended to obtain travel insurance.
- Two weeks prior to departure for the retreat you must supply your up-to-date flight information if you’d like to be picked-up at the Liberia International Airport.
- Plan to arrive before 3pm on Saturday to Liberia International. You will proceed through immigration and customs and then retrieve your luggage. You will be greeted by AHKí transportation and taken to the retreat center which is approximately two hours away.
- Plan to fly out of Liberia International Airport after 1 pm on departure Saturday.
- If you would like to arrange to extend your trip I can recommend tours and sights to see.
Other Things to Expect
Days in Costa Rica are warm/hot and evenings are a little cooler, giving you reprieve from the heat, which helps since there is no air conditioning. The retreat happens during the dry season, so it’s highly unlikely that it’ll rain. Since we’ll be staying at a retreat center with indoor/outdoor elements, expect to be somewhat exposed to nature (including winds, cute geckos, and jungle bugs), as well as the sounds of monkeys and tropical birds when the jungle wakes up.
$2225 Triple occupancy
$2590 Double occupancy
$3425 Single occupancy
Costs associated with passports (required), airfare, flight changes, airline baggage fees for any and all baggage, medical or travel insurance, vaccinations, gratuities and taxes for personal services, specialty beverages or alcohol, spa services, tours/excursions including a beach night dinner and the $29 country departure fee must be met by the participant. Travel insurance and trip cancellation insurance is required, consider World Nomads or Allianz travel.
All retreat payments are final, refunds and transfers are not available under any circumstances due to the planning and logistics involved.
This retreat will sell out quickly. It is encouraged to place your deposit soon so that you can secure your place and begin planning your remarkable retreat to paradise.
A non-refundable and non-transferable $500 deposit secures your space in the retreat. The full amount is due October 1st.
For Yoga Alliance registered teachers 30 hours of continuing education are available with this retreat.