As summer wanes and we inch towards autumn, from an Ayurvedic perspective we move from Pitta season (hot, humid) to Vata season (cold, dry).
Are you feeling the shift in the temperature, light, or the smell of the air?
Maybe you’ve felt an uptick in anxiety, disrupted sleep, evening hot flashes, or even insomnia as the seasonal wheel turns. These are all signs of increased doshic imbalance within your body and mind. There are time tested measures that can help.
We can use the energies and elements of the seasons for guidance to harness our health through the seasonal changes and beyond.
At the end of summer the heat of the season has accumulated. For some people this may show up as feeling overheated, experiencing hot flashes, night sweats, skin issues, rashes, acid reflux, or loose stools. It can be helpful to clear internal heat with foods that are cooling in nature like coconut.
As the seasonal wheel turns, we are moving into the Vata season. The autumn season brings mobile, cool, and dry qualities. For some people this may show up as feeling cold, an increase in anxiety, dry skin, sleep disturbance, or insomnia. It can be helpful to support warmth and grounding. In this warm sleep milk almonds, dates, and ghee offer grounding. Nutmeg and saffron have a long history as sleep remedies.
Toasted Coconut Sleep Milk
1 cup almonds, soaked overnight & rinsed
1 cup coconut flakes
2 medjool dates, pitted
2 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon ghee
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
a few saffron threads
- In a medium sized pan, on medium-low heat, toast the coconut flakes until slightly aromatic and the edges become golden.
- Combine the soaked almonds, toasted coconut, dates, and water in a high-speed blender and blend on high. Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or through a nut milk bag over a fine mesh strainer and into a container. Discard the pulp.
- Place the toasted coconut almond milk into a small pot along with the ghee and spices. Bring to a simmer, being careful not to let the milk boil or burn.
- Transfer back to the blender to blend on high until frothy.
- Place a couple saffron threads in a mug then pour in the Toasted Coconut Sleep Milk.
- Serve warm and immediately.