In Ayurveda, the sister science to Yoga, Ojas is referred to as the ‘vital nectar of life.’ It is the subtle energy or essence that provides strong immunity, nourishment to the tissues and stability to the mind. It is said to give a sparkle to the eyes and a glow to the skin. A fast-paced, over scheduled and under-rested lifestyle depletes Ojas. When Ojas is depleted we often feel fatigue or struggle with low immunity, insomnia, anxiety and emotional reactivity.
Curious how you can build your reserves of this nourishing vital nectar of life? Here are a few tips for building Ojas…
- Keep good company. Positive people uplift and nourish your soul.
- Eat fresh whole foods while avoiding processed foods, caffeine and alcohol.
- Choose cooked and well oiled foods over raw and dry foods.
- Get ample rest. Ideally to bed before 10 pm and awake before dawn, this provides the most restorative sleep.
- Cultivate a daily calming yoga and meditation practice.
This blended drink builds Ojas, to help keep you healthy and nourished through the cold season.
10 almonds, soaked overnight, peeled and rinsed
2 medjool dates, pitted and rinsed
1 tsp ghee
1/8 tsp cardamon, ground*
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 saffron threads
2 c warm water or almond, rice, coconut or dairy milk
Place all of the ingredients in a high powered blender, blend until smooth. Enjoy and be nourished!
*For supreme flavor, rather then store bought, grind your own organic cardamon seeds in a spice grinder.