This is a very simple, flavorful and fairly quick homemade chicken soup. It is nourishing and the perfect cure for fending off winter colds.
2 quart water
2 chicken breast or thighs, bone in + skin on
1 small onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped + divided
3 celery stalks, chopped + divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- In a medium pot, combine the water, chicken, onion, half the carrots, half the celery, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and simmer. Skim the impurities and foam that rise to the top. Cover, simmer for one hour and do not stir during this time.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, set aside.
- Strain the broth, composting the vegetables.
- Bring the broth back to a boil, then turn down to medium heat. Add the remaining carrots and celery. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the chicken from the skin and bone, shredding the meat. Add the meat and parsley to the broth and serve.