This delicious recipe comes from my dear friend Destin Layne who works passionately to create positive social change throughout our food system. This recipe was featured in New York Spirit and I am delighted to share it with you!
I enjoyed it for dinner last night topped with ground flax seed along side a salad, however my favorite was eating it cold this morning for breakfast!
5-6 cups chopped carrots (approximately 2lbs)
¼ cup maple syrup
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1½ teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon orange rind
¼ cup blanched almond flour
- Cook carrots in a steamer until soft, about 20 minutes
- Blend carrots, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, orange rind, eggs and almond flour until smooth in Vitamix or blender
- Place mixture in a greased 8×8 inch Pyrex baking dish or pie pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour, until browned around the edges and done in the center
- Serve warm out of the oven, or allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight and serve cold (my preference)
- To serve: drizzle with honey and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Eat immediately. Another option: serve with whipped cream and sprinkle ground flax or hemp seeds on top!