The magic of the subtle, understated beauty of Portugal is experienced when you slow down and take it in. This transformational retreat will be on the breathtaking Atlantic coast of Portugal, near the charming fishing village of Zambujeira do Mar, in the Alentejo region, which is far removed from the hustling tourist culture of the rest of Europe. This breathtaking coastline is known for its long stretches of pristine bluffs, sandy coves, and charming white-washed villages.
Enjoy your stay at Cocoon Portugal, a 275 acre coastal farm and retreat, offering inspiration and community for the modern traveller. It’s pure magic, where between the oversized hammocks and the freshwater lake, you’ll start to lose track of time. The kind of place where each morning is a celebration, practicing under the canopy of old growth pines, but so is each evening, with delicious farm-to-table meals and pleasant, memorable conversation.
There are two yoga shalas at Cocoon. The pine shala is nestled under a canopy of old growth pines and is a dream for morning mediation and practice, especially as the morning fog rolls in. The indoor shala is light filled, with high ceilings and traditional hand-made Santa Catarina tiles.
Each day will begin with an hour-long class devoted to meditation and mindfulness techniques at one of the two breathtaking yoga shalas at Cocoon. After breakfast, the daily three-hour Ayurveda and yoga classes offer time to reconnect with body, mind, and spirit. Throughout the week, we’ll build progressively on Ayurvedic and yogic wisdom as well as anatomical, alignment, and energetic themes.
Each afternoon there will be ample free time. You are welcome to explore the farm, collect eggs from the chickens, swim in the pristine freshwater lake, or simply daydream in an oversized hammock. If you are up for exploring the area, you can hop on a bicycle and ride to one of the quaint villages nearby or you are just a 10 minute drive from Praia de Malhao beach, perfect for surfing, swimming, or sunbathing. World class hiking on the famed Costa Vicentina trail is a nearby treasure.
In short, this retreat is for those seeking tranquility and a balance of practice, earthly connection, and relaxation amidst beautiful pasture, breathtaking coastal bluffs, and pristine beaches.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
This retreat will allow you to unplug from your stresses and responsibilities, from electronics and newsfeeds, and remember what is really important to you. You will get the time you need for introspection so that you can reset and come home to yourself. You’ll go deeper into your yoga and mindfulness practice and learn to create new habits. You will be awe-inspired by experiencing one of the most beautiful places on earth. You’ll also be part of an open and inclusive community of fellow spiritual seekers.
- 7 nights of simple, yet elegant accommodations at Cocoon retreat located on a 275 acre farm situated on the Atlantic coast
- 3 healthy, lovingly prepared farm to table meals each day
- Coffee and tea throughout the day
- Daily Ayurveda, yoga & meditation classes, including use of yoga mats and props
Additional activities available:
- access to a swimmable pristine freshwater lake and oversized hammocks
- bicycles for daily use to explore local villages
- explore the charming seafront village of Vila Nova de Milfontes, just a ten minute drive away
- venture to Praia de Malhao, a fabulous untouched beach, perfect for surfing, swimming or sunbathing
- world class hiking on the nearby Costa Vincentina Trail
- feeling rested and restored
- remembering what is meaningful and important in your life
- with a deeper understanding of your constitutional makeup and how to cultivate healthier habits and routines
- with a deeper sense of your yoga and meditation practice
- with tools for living in tune with the seasons
- with tools for working with the mind
- having connected with fellow spiritual travelers
- with memories that will last a lifetime
This is an example of how each day might unfold:
- 7am | Meditation & Mindfulness Practices
- 8am | Breakfast
- 9am to 10am | Ayurveda talk
- 10am to noon | Yoga practice
- 12:15pm | Lunch
- 1pm to 6pm | Free time for excursions, beach, hiking, solitude, etc.
- 6pm | Dinner
- 7pm to 8pm | Evening practice
Rooms at Cocoon are clean, bright, and elegant. Each room has two single beds that can be kept apart or placed together to create a double. Eight of the rooms have en-suite bathrooms, while the remaining two rooms share a bathroom. There are plenty of outdoor spaces to relax, read or enjoy conversation.
Cocoon serves three nourishing and delicious farm to table meals each day. Coffee and herbal teas are available throughout the day. Food is sourced locally, either from nearby farms or Cocoon’s own gardens. A typical breakfast includes eggs, local fruit, Greek yogurt, homemade granola, local honey, homemade jam, slow-rise bread, and a daily tonic. Lunch is often a bowl; a base of ancient grains like farro, topped with avocado, roasted veggies, nori, or mixed greens. For dinner, expect Indian + Japanese inspired curries, Mediterranean stews, legumes, rice, salad and dessert.
Travel & Arrival
- A valid passport is required and must be valid at least six months after the date of travel (April 2021). It’s highly recommended to obtain travel and trip cancellation insurance. World Nomad, Global Rescue, and Allianz are recommended options.
- Plan to arrive and depart from Lisbon. Cocoon is a 2 hour drive to the south. Rent a car and enjoy the scenery. Break up the drive with lunch and a swim, stopping at the fabulous Camporta Café. Check in at Cocoon anytime after 2pm. If you don’t feel comfortable renting a car (or just don’t want to), we can pair you with another guest arriving at the same time, or we can arrange transportation for you for an additional cost.
Other Things to Expect
In September, you can expect average temperature between 70-80°F. The water in the Atlantic ocean is the warmest it gets annually, and is around 70 degrees.
Covid Safety Measures
To protect the safety of all participants Cocoon Portugal has rigorous health and safety protocols in place. Participant shall present a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than three days before their arrival at the retreat or proof of vaccination. Participant shall also be solely responsible for complying with all COVID-19 entry requirements of the destination country.
Triple with an ensuite bathroom
Double with an ensuite bathroom
Single with a shared bathroom
Single with an ensuite bathroom
Group transportation from the Lisbon airport to Cocoon is not included. Costs associated with passports (required), airfare, flight changes, airline baggage fees for any and all baggage, car rental, medical or travel insurance, vaccinations, gratuities and taxes for personal services, specialty beverages or alcohol, spa services, tours/excursions including a must be met by the participant. Health travel insurance and trip cancellation insurance is required. Consider Global Rescue, World Nomads, or Allianz insurance.
A non-refundable $500 deposit secures your space in the retreat. The full amount is due June 4th. Refunds will be granted as per the Yoga Retreat Agreement and Release of Liability. At this time, Cocoon is successfully welcoming retreat guests and flights are easily able to fly from the U.S. to Lisbon.
For Yoga Alliance registered teachers 30 hours of continuing education are available with this retreat.