Spring rolls are perfect for the summer season when you do not want to turn on the stove. These recipes includes cilantro and mint for cooling the mind and body.
2 large carrots, julienned
2 -3 green onions, julienned
1/2 sweet red pepper, julienned
1 small cucumber, julienned
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 c fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 c fresh mint, minced
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 (3 ounce) packages dried bean thread rice noodles
16 rice paper, softened (8-inch, see note)*
- Place the rice noodles in a medium bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 8 minutes, or until the noodles are softened.
- Once soft, rinse in cold water and drain well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots, green onions, cucumber, red pepper, olive oil, cilantro, mint salt and pepper; toss well.
- Place equal parts of the vegetable mixture and rice noodles, in the center of the soaked* rice paper, about a 1/2 c total.
- Fold 3 sides over, then tightly roll towards the last long edge.
- Place on a plate seam side down.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Serve with peanut sauce and garnish with mint and cilantro.
*Note: To soften the rice-paper, fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip each rice-paper separately into the water for 30-60 seconds, or until softened and translucent. Do not stack the rice papers; they will stick together.
3/4 c organic creamy peanut butter
1/4 c boiling water
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
4 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tsp chile-garlic paste
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
Whisk all ingredients together. Serve with the spring rolls, garnished with mint and cilantro.
Makes 16 spring rolls.