Strawberry rhubarb crisp is an early summer favorite. I love this sweet, tart treat warm out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla coconut ice cream.
This particular variation I have swapped out processed sugar for maple syrup and butter for ghee. I was pleasantly surprised that it created the perfect sweetness and worked well even in the crumble topping.
At first I was skeptical, as the crumble didn’t seem very crumbly. It was more of a paste to spread onto the strawberry rhubarb mixture but after baking, it set and became crisp. You can use cold butter if you do not have ghee.
5 c strawberries, sliced
4 c rhubarb, chopped
1/2 c maple syrup
1 fresh orange, juiced
1 tbsp orange zest
1 tbsp arrowroot starch/flour
1 c quinoa flour
1 c gf whole rolled oats
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 c maple syrup
12 tbsp ghee or butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl mix orange juice, zest and arrowroot, until arrowroot is dissolved.
3. Add strawberries, rhubarb, and 1/2 c maple syrup, toss to coat, then place mixture into a 9×13 pyrex pan.
4. In a large bowl combine quinoa flour, oats, sea salt, 1 c maple syrup, and ghee/butter, mix well. If you are using cold butter instead of ghee, you may want to use a hand mixer on low.
5. Spread the topping onto the strawberry rhubarb mixture.
6. Bake for 1 hour.