For years I’ve been trying to give up sugar but time and time again, it is a losing battle. I love sweets. So my quest is to create low sugar treats that satisfy the palate. One of my all time favorite treats are chocolate covered peanut butter balls so I set out to create, dare I say, a healthier alternative.
I prefer almond butter or NuttZo 7 Seed + Nut Butter which is a blend of organic peanuts, cashews, almonds, flax seeds, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, and sunflower seeds. These balls are packed with maca and are low in added sugar.
1 c organic nut butter
2 tbsp maca powder
2 c almond meal/flour
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 c dark chocolate, 70%
- In a medium bowl hand mix nut butter, maca powder, almond flour and maple syrup.
- Place mixture in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill. This will make rolling balls go much smoother!
- While nut butter is chilling, melt the chocolate. In a microwave start with 30 seconds then add 5-10 seconds at a time or use a double boiler. Be very mindful not to burn the chocolate.
- Once balls have chilled and chocolate is melted, using a tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop out nut butter and roll in your palms to form balls.
- Using a spoon, gently roll the balls in the melted chocolate, covering all sides, then place them on a plate lined with parchment paper.
- Place balls in the freezer or refrigerator until the chocolate has hardened.
Makes 18 balls.