Join me on a retreat to Bali, a small island in Indonesia. Known for its spiritual culture, temples, and traditional art, Bali is reminiscent of a mini-India. The retreat will be held at The Shali Bali in Ubud where we will be cocooned amongst rice paddies and coconut palms in an oasis of peace, beauty, and wellness.
Each day will begin with an hour-long class devoted to meditation and mindfulness techniques. After breakfast, the daily three-hour Ayurveda and yoga classes are intended to go beyond the general group classes you may experience back home. Throughout the week, we’ll build progressively on Ayurvedic and yogic wisdom as well as anatomical, alignment, and energetic themes.
Each afternoon there will be ample free time so that, if you wish, you can explore Balinese culture. The Shala Bali is a 20-minute walk or short taxi ride to Ubud center city. Here you will find an exciting and thriving village of markets, arts, museums, Indonesian craftsmanship, temples, and much more. There are also several excursions available within a short distance. For instance, a half-day trip can be arranged to the sacred Tirtha Empul and Gunung Kawii—11th century temples that are most exquisite.
You can also spend free time at The Shala Bali. The retreat center has an impressive 20-meter salt water pool with a shady bale pavilion for relaxing and an area for sunbathing. There is also an Ayurvedic spa, set in blissful surroundings with flowing water and lush gardens, where self-care services may be purchased separately.
In short, this is a retreat for spiritual seekers who like the idea of a tranquil oasis and a bustling cultural feast for the senses.
This retreat will allow you to unplug from your stresses and responsibilities, from electronics and newsfeeds, and remember what is really important to you. You will get the time you need for introspection so that you can reset and come home to yourself. You’ll go deeper into your yoga and mindfulness practice and learn to create new habits. You will be awe-inspired by experiencing one of the most beautiful places on earth. You’ll also be part of an open and inclusive community of fellow spiritual seekers.
- seven nights of luxurious accommodation at The Shala Bali
- three nourishing and satisfying vegetarian meals per day
- all-day coffee/tea
- daily Ayurveda, yoga & meditation classes, including use of yoga mats and props
- access to an impressive 20-meter salt water pool with a shady bale pavilion for relaxing and an area for sunbathing
- access to an on-site Ayurvedic spa where incredible and affordable self-care services may be purchased separately
- transportation to and from the Denpasar International Bali airport
- feeling rested and restored
- remembering what is meaningful and important in your life
- with a deeper understanding of your constitutional makeup and how to cultivate healthier habits and routines
- with a deeper sense of your yoga and meditation practice
- with tools for living in tune with the seasons
- with tools for working with the mind
- having connected with fellow spiritual travelers
This is an example of how each day might unfold:
- 7am | Meditation & Mindfulness Practices
- 8am | Breakfast
- 9am to 10am | Ayurveda talk
- 10am to noon | Yoga practice
- 12:15pm | Lunch
- 1pm to 6pm | Free time for excursions, solitude, pool, etc.
- 6pm | Dinner
- 7pm to 8pm | Evening practice
The Shala Bali offers seven uniquely designed and decorated standard villas and three deluxe villas, each opening to stunning views of lush rice paddies, tropical gardens, and jungle vistas. The villas were created making the most of the colors and beautifully hand-carved wood and stone Indonesia is known for. Both single and double occupancy rooms are available.
Luxurious bathrooms and amenities are provided to enhance your experience of sublime comfort and peace. Each room includes fine linens, a ceiling fan, mosquito nets, a safe for valuables, a mini fridge, wardrobe and storage space, an ensuite bathroom with natural body and hair products, purified drinking water, a tea/coffee maker, a balcony, Wi-Fi, and daily housekeeping. Deluxe rooms also include a kitchen, living room, and bathtub.
Through its Organic and Indian Cafes, The Shali Bali serves nourishing, delicious, and eclectic fare that not only supports your body to thrive but is also supportive to the earth.
Picture organic spelt, sourdough, and gluten-free breads baked in house and served with homemade Pineapple Vanilla Bean Jam & creamy nut butters, as well as fermented yogurts and kombuchas that are good for the tummy, and a whole variety of sweet and savory dishes from around the world made with both flare and care.
Three vegetarian meals are included each day. Coffee/tea is always available. Vegan-friendly and gluten-free options are plentiful. Additional special dietary needs can be accommodated upon advance request.
Travel & Arrival
- A valid passport is required and must be valid at least six months after the date of travel (December 2018). It’s highly recommended to obtain travel insurance.
- Two weeks prior to departure for the retreat you must supply your up-to-date flight information if you’d like to be picked-up at the Denpasar Bali International Airport.
- Plan to arrive before 3pm on Sunday, June 16th, 2018 to Denpasar International. You will proceed through immigration and customs and then retrieve your luggage. You will be greeted by Shali Bali transportation and taken to the retreat center which is approximately one hour away.
- Plan to fly out of Denpasar Internation after noon on Sunday, June 23rd.
- If you would like to arrange to arrive a day early or stay longer at The Shala Bali or in Ubud arrangements can be made.
Other Things to Expect
Coming from a Western culture, arriving in Bali is like stepping into another world. Bali is a Hindu island (not Islamic like the rest of Indonesia) where many rituals take place. While the retreat center is incredibly luxurious and serene, Indonesia is still a developing country as evidenced by things like a finicky water system and no air conditioning (although it tends to be warm, not too hot, with periodic short bursts of rain). The retreat center also has an indoor-outdoor element to it, which means you get to feel the open air, but ants might visit by. There are no dangerous animals though and the monkeys keep their distance—unless you choose to visit the Monkey Forest, in which case one of them might try to steal your flip-flop!
Early bird prices:
Wooden Suite – a short walk through a rice field
Double – $1775 | Single – $1965
Double – $1930 | Single – $2315
Standard Suite with a shared living room
Double – $2000 | Single – $2465
Master Suite (includes a soaking tub) with a shared living room
Double – $2045 | Single – $2600
Price increases by $100 after April 1st, 2018
Costs associated with passports (required), airfare, flight changes, airline baggage fees for any and all baggage, medical or travel insurance, vaccinations, gratuities and taxes for personal services, specialty beverages or alcohol, spa services, tours/excursions, and the country departure fee must be met by the participant.
For Yoga Alliance registered teachers 30 hours of continuing education are available with this retreat.
A non-refundable $500 deposit secures your space in the retreat. The full amount is due by April 1st, 2018.