By now you have likely heard that good health, in both the body and mind, begins in the gut. And certain foods can lead to digestive issues, inflammation, and cancer. Foods like trans-fats and sugar are on the top of that list.
My personal weakness is sugar. I can go months without being overcome by this addiction then there is a new chocolate shop with too many truffles to try or the carrot cake from a favorite restaurant and it’s straight downhill from there. Then there is the sugar high that is followed all too soon by a crash of energy and literally feeling completely hung over the next day.
Over the last decade I have found benefit in the Ayurvedic approach of using food as medicine and gentle cleansing to help restore my digestion and get back on track to healthy habits. The change of season is a perfect time to make a commitment to health, self-care, and feeling well.
Does a reset towards health and good habits sound like something you need too?
Ayurveda originated in India more than 5,000 years ago and is considered the oldest continuously practiced health-care system in the world. Ayur means “life” and veda means “science” or “knowledge”, so it can be understood as a science of life. Ayurveda uses food as medicine, herbs, lifestyle routines, bodywork therapies, and gentle seasonal cleansing to nourish the tissues, remove stagnation, and increase health.
Ayurvedic cleanses have been used in India for many centuries to restore balance in the body and mind. It’s a way to improve your digestion and boost your immunity. When we don’t properly digest our foods, thoughts, or experiences—when we have poor digestion all around—it can lead to anxiety, foggy thinking, and lack of energy.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
The cleanse is detoxifying and rebalancing physically as well as in a mind-emotional and heart-centering way.
- a series of orientation videos guiding you through each step of the cleanse program
- three live Q&A group video calls to answer any questions you may have along the way
- daily emails to support and inspire you through the process
- a 70 page in depth cleanse manual with plant-based seasonal recipes created by Andrea and the whole-food chefs at Kitchen Intuition
- tips for setting up your kitchen, seasonal food lists, shopping lists, meal plans, detox boosting recommendations, self-care rituals, and daily routine charts
- mindfulness practices to help you slow down and align with your intentions
- step-by-step instructions on how to ease off the cleanse
- access to a private Facebook cleanse group
- unlimited email support
- understanding Ayurveda’s approach to food as medicine
- having reset your digestive system and improved digestive health
- with healthier lifestyle routines and ideas as to how to navigate modern life in a way that feels more balancing, sustaining, and meaningful
- with a better relationship with food
- more attuned with the seasons
- with more energy and a metabolism that’s been reset
- with a boost to your immune system, setting you up for the season to come
- having given up unhealthy cravings
You will receive the information and guidance you need to partake in a whole-food, plant-based seasonal cleanse from the comfort of your own home. There are no shakes, fasting, or expensive supplements. You will be eating three meals a day.
Although there are set dates for the cleanse, it’s designed for you to adjust the dates to work best for you. Here’s what the schedule looks like:
Review the cleanse manual. Purchase supplies and prepare your kitchen. Set your intentions.
- Phase 1 Simplify (days 1-4): Enjoy three seasonally aligned plant-based meals per day. Incorporate daily self-care practices and relax into your routine.
- Phase 2 Purify (days 5-7): Enjoy three meals per day of Ayurveda’s purifying and healing kitchari. If needed, you can shorten this phase to 1 day or lengthen it to 5 days.
- Phase 3 Restore (days 8-10): Is for restoring and returning to the seasonally aligned meals of the first phase.
Begin reintegrating a balanced diet step-by-step as you return to your daily activities with increased vitality.
One week prior to the start of the cleanse you’ll get access to a live/recorded orientation webinar, as well a Dropbox folder with all the materials you need to have a successful cleanse.
Other Things to Expect
The first four days of the cleanse are about eliminating and avoiding hard to digest foods—including caffeine, alcohol, sugar, raw foods, and flesh foods— and upgrading to more health-giving foods, like maple syrup instead of white sugar. You’ll also set intentions, and learn Ayurvedic self-care rituals, as well as how to set up a sacred kitchen.
During phase two, the main cleanse, you’ll eat purifying meals with seasonal vegetables and continue with your Ayurvedic self-care rituals. Reducing sensory stimulus and slowing down so you can proceed with a lot of intentionality is recommended.
Finally, during phase three you’ll follow a step-by-step protocol for introducing foods back into your diet. You’ll have worked hard to reduce and eliminate certain foods, which you may decide not to reintroduce.
Please note, many people feel that they cannot give up coffee. You’ll still benefit from the cleanse without giving it up, but it’s recommended that you try. To wean yourself, you may consider reducing your coffee by one tablespoon a day or shifting to green tea before the start of the cleanse.
Please also note that there are times when a cleanse is not suitable. If you have an acute illness (flu, cancer, etc.) it will be too taxing for your system. If you’re pregnant or nursing you won’t want toxins excreted via your breast milk. If you have questions about whether this cleanse is appropriate for you, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and consult with your primary care provider.
Afraid you won’t have time to cook for the cleanse or don’t enjoy cooking? If you’re in Madison, I highly-recommend hiring Kitchen Intuition to prepare your meals. Angela and Jenny are a duo of personal chefs who have mastered whole foods cooking. They’ll make delicious seasonally inspired cleanse-approved pre and post-cleanse meals for you and deliver them to your doorstep for an affordable price. Additional cost is $225 for 14 delicious meals.
Anyone in any time zone anywhere can register for this cleanse. The cost is $175.